22 October 2008

Should Your Credit Hinder You From Getting a Job?

On another blog that I follow, the following questions were asked:

"Should your credit report hinder you from getting a job? Is that a form of discrimination? What do you think?"

I was moved to not only answer those questions, but share them with you.

Personally, my credit score has had more ups and downs than a pole dancer on a heart machine, but the reality is that one's credit history is a decent indicator of one's sense and level of responsibility. For example, I was very irresponsible in my early to mid 20's, but as I continued to mature and get more focused at getting my act together, I began to learn just how important my credit history is.

I remember a job interview that used my credit report as a part of its hiring criteria, and they asked me about my credit history. All I could tell them was that the only way I could improve my future was to get that job. Getting that job would allow me to make up for the past (paying off my debts), and thus improve my credit history moving forward.

Again, your credit report shows how responsible you've been regarding paying your debts. Basically, if you prove that you're responsible paying your debts (handling money), it's a safe barometer that you're capable of handling other responsibilities.

Sadly, the only people who might feel they've been discrimanted against are those who might have not gotten a job based on or in part of their credit history.

Let me now finish this blog the way my friend finished her blog ...
What do YOU think?

No comments: