27 October 2008

"Small & Teachable" ... Ehhh ... Not Quite!


I recently received some feedback from a presentation I did not too long ago. For the most part, from what I could see, the feedback was good. Out of five or six positive remarks there was one negative one.

The contact person for the group I spoke before suggested that had I allowed her to work with me, the results would have been better. She further suggested that since I had not followed her directly, that perhaps that negative comment was a result of the Lord trying to tell me something. She then suggested that I "stay small and teachable."

"Small and teachable."

Well now ... Here's my take on that.

The Lord is ALWAYS telling us something; and since only HE knows it all, there is always room to learn more which is why we must always remain humble & teachable.

One may start small, but the word "stay" is a word of permanence. As you know there is so much to be gleaned and interpreted from The Word. In the book of Genesis, the Lord says for man to "be fruitful and multiply."

In this context; the context of self-improvement, it can be taken to believe that in order to become better one must learn and grow, which is why I continue to read and read and read, then act and build upon what I have learned.

For example, what if Bill Gates "stayed small" and just kept tinkering in his garage? What if Donald Trump "stayed small" and decided to just own a Century 21 or Remax office? What if Quincy Jones "stayed small" and decided to just be a local background jazz musician? What if Russell Simmons "stayed small" and just kept enjoying the NY club scene and then unnamed yet burgeoning urban street style of music and art which later became Hip Hop?

By the way ... Like it or not, agree with it or not, the fact remains that (probably next to professional athletics) Hip Hop is the source of more self-made black millionaires in history. Bottom line ... The list of examples can go on, because no one who is successful in ANY given field "stayed small."

Don't get it twisted - that means "Please don't misunderstand me" - We must all seek out tutors and mentors in order to take yourself to the next level. You take what you are taught and you incorporate it into whatever your vision is. That is the one thing that everyone I just named above have in common.

I know where I am in my game right now. I know what I want to do and what I have to do to get there. The main difference I have with the person who inspired this particular post can be traced back to an ancient Chinese proverb which (paraphrased) goes, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." Although I have long ago learned to humble myself; at the same time, I also have a very strong personality. I look forward to humbling myself to those teachers who appear when I am ready for them.

In short ... I have my vision, and when I want to elevate my skills ("step my game up"), I seek out my teachers, and I suggest you do the same. A lot of times you will find that there are people who genuinely want to help you; but at the same time (and perhaps even subconciously), they want to incorporate you into their vision - which might not necessarily be in congruence with yours.

My studies have taught me - and I pass along to you - that when seeking out a mentor, you should want to choose someone who not only is doing what you want to do, but has or is succeeding at what you're looking to do. Although I have the utmost respect for the woman who offered to mentor me - who claimed to have "25 years of public speaking experience," she herself is not doing what I see myself doing once I have accumulated even half as much time in the public speaking game.

I understand - and even profess that everyone must start somewhere. No one worth their salt actually starts out at the top. A close friend my mine once told me, "the only thing you can do starting out at the top is digging a hole." That phrase keeps me humble at all times! However, NONE OF US can achieve or will ever fulfil our true potential if we "stay small."

Now "teachable?" Absolutely. None of us are or will ever be too old to learn something new. I don't care what kind of work you currently do or what dreams you're fulfilling; if anyone you meet along the way says, "I've seen it all," and genuinely believes it ... RUN LIKE HELL!! That person will be the one who gets you jammed up the hardest!

So ...

You'll have to forgive my stubborness, in that although "starting small" may be necessary, "staying small" is NOT an option.

No comments: