07 June 2009

Is 40 the New 18?

In a discussion group that I particupate in, someone asked the question, "is 40 the New 18?"

George Bernard Shaw once said "it's a shame that youth is wasted on the young." In our late teens & early 20's we are full of energy, ambition and a virtually insatiable desire to attain "the good life;" however, at that age we have little in terms of the resources necessary to fulfill that desire.

As we age (and hopefully grow in the process), we begin to not only gain wisdom, but we also build up the finances and resources necessary to get those things we wanted when we were younger. Unfortunately, by the time we can actually afford some of those things, we're considered too old to have them.

I spent my 20's trashing my credit because I had little to no appreciation for its importance (my dad tried to warn me, but he felt it best that I learn on my own). I am spending my 30's climbing out of the hole I spent digging in my 30's. This year I turn 39. One more year before I kick down 40's door, and when I do I will be set. Some things are almost paid off, and most of the other things are burning off with time. My most major debt now consists of my mortage and my car note.

The problem we have as a people, is that we think only of what we have and what we missed out on having. This does not help those who come up behind us though, and they - our kids - are left to figure it out on their own just as we had to do. This is the cycle that must be broken. We need to instill in our children the appreciation of the value of planning and WORKING towards the future. The sooner they appreciate planning for the future; and the sooner they begin working towards the future, the sooner they can begin enjoying the fruits of their labor.

The best thing we can do is find a way to encourage our youth to excel academically and guide them into being able to determine early what they want to achieve in life so that they can start working towards & achieving it earlier. This not only includes matters of careers & money, but also maintaining their health, relationships & proper family planning as well.

I don't want for my sons to be approaching their 40's and THEN learn what it is they want to do with their lives. Therefore, it is my plan; as they enter their teens, to expose them to what they could have and encourage them to begin saving, planning & working towards those things.

40 is NOT the new 18 ... We're just able to afford the things we wanted at 18. It might be a little late for me, but my success will be in seeing my sons be able to get in their early/mid 20's what it took me my mid to late 30's to get.

No comments: