11 September 2010

HRJR @ Barnes & Noble ... THE AFTERMATH!

Today, I experienced a personal best in my career as a published author. Today, I had a book-signing for my book "FIND A WAY TO MAKE A WAY!" at Barnes & Noble, the largest retail bookseller in the country.

Allow me to share some history with you so you understand how significant today was for me.

Two years ago, while I was still pushing my (self-published) 1st edition of "FIND A WAY!" I sent a copy to the Manhattan corporate offices of Barnes & Noble and inquired how I could get my book in their stores. About a month later I got an letter from them that politely said (in short - paraphrasing) "We don't do much business with self-published authors who don't have a proven following. Thanks for sending us your book. Don't call us - we might not call you." Some people might have been discouraged at receiving such a letter; however, those of you who know me also know that I have a tendency to be both stubborn and spiteful. So, if you try to stand in my way ... you're in for a fight.

So I kept pushing and plugging. I went from pushing my self-published product to getting signed to a publishing deal. That deal called for the re-release of "FIND A WAY!" - not only in print, but as a 5CD audiobook, and i-Tunes download ... and I kept on pushing and plugging, and after putting in the required work and steadily building a following, I received word from my publisher that I was going to be doing a book-signing at a Barnes & Noble store!

Today was a great day! There was a great vibe in the room. The seats were filled, my audience was inspired ... and books were sold!
The scary thing is ... THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING!!

No comments: