29 December 2009

How Am I Getting Along with Diabetes?

I have been asked that question quite often since last month.
So to answer all questions in detail ...In a word, I'm doing great!

When this whole thing first went down, I should have been in a coma. By that, I mean the normal & healthy range for our blood sugar is between 80 to 120 mg/dl (whatever that is ...lol). When I tested myself at Taria's parent's house that night last month my blood sugar was at 518. I ate dinner, took a nap for about an hour and tested myself again when I woke up. My blood sugar was at 525, so we went to the hospital. When they tested me at the hospital my blood sugar was 580. I had the nursing staff perplexed because I was cracking jokes about them not letting me eat anything instead of being the diabetic coma that I obviously should have been in.

Anyway, they had me on an I.V. for the following three days. When I got discharged, they put me on a restricted daily diet of (initially) 1800 calories - but I got that changed to 2200 calories, and for the first three to four weeks out of the hospital Taria was my food nazi, regulating every single thing I ate and calculating the calories. They also gave me a device to check my blood sugar. I have always eaten decently, now I'm just even more disciplined about it. I can even enjoy drinking ... everything is all good ... in moderation. I almost had to beat up my mother in-law on Christmas morning because she tried not to let me have regular syrup on my pancakes ... It almost got really ugly (LOL)!


I'm at a point now where I'll check my blood sugar about twice a week. In fact, I tested myself today and it was at 121. I'm down 20lbs from where I was when this all started, but I was already dieting to lose that weight, so I'm NOT giving Diabetes the win for my weight loss!

For me ... I take care of myself. I take my insulin & a sugar pill twice a day. It's no different than you taking a multi-vitamin in the morning and before you go to bed. That's how I look at it. When I told people I had Diabetes, I got so much of what I call, "Positive-Pessimistic" support. I gave it that name because I know that everyone was coming from a good place, but there were things said to me that would have people thinking I told them I had AIDS, herpes or cancer! Diabetes for me was nothing more than God's way of telling me that I need to take even better care of this temple He stored my spirit in because He's got some serious plans for it!

I'll treat Diabetes like I've treated every other obstacle or opponent I've encountered ... I'll look it in the face, turn it around and kick it in the ass!

`Nuff Said!
You have a Happy New Year!

No comments: