16 April 2012

I Really Need to Begin Counting the Epiphanies in My Life


HRJR & Jim Hernandez

It was Sunday night, about 11:45pm. I was in bed reading a book recommended to me by my trusted friend and colleague, Jim Hernandez. Now often I don't mind sharing what books I'm reading, but I gave Jim my word that I would not share the title of this book because when he shared it with me he told me it was in part very instrumental to his success as a speaker (hey ... "insider sharing" isn't illegal). Anyway, I copped the book earlier in the day and figured I'd crack it open before going to bed because one of the two times when the mind is most receptive to stimuli is before going to sleep (the other time is immediately upon waking up).

So, I wasn't even five pages into this book. In fact, I hadn't even hit Chapter One yet ... I was still in the introduction when I came across a quote that floored me! This one quote moved me so much that it was like the original speaker of the statement flipped a switch in my mind and got the wheels that were simmering down in preparation for sleep all fired up. It was all I could do to finish reading the introduction so I could get to my computer and write this article. What happened was I had an epiphany. An epiphany is a discovery that comes upon you as a total surprise, but is usually something that was in front of you all along ... you just happened to open your eyes - or rather - open your mind to what was obvious, and now it is obvious to you. Being that I am on a journey of personal development and honest self-discovery, Over the past several years, I have had many epiphanies, or as Oprah Winfrey calls them, "Ah-HA! moments." I was so moved by this one that I felt the urge to share it with you.


I now know why I make people uncomfortable. I now know why people perceive me as arrogant.

You see, I believe in the saying, "wherever you go, there you are;" so wherever I am, that's my environment for however long I'm there. In my former profession as a police officer, it was paramount to control my environment as much as possible - and there were ways to do this covertly as well as overtly. So there have been and are times that I may give off a certain vibe that will attract some, but may push away others. Those who are attracted prove themselves to be quality people. Those who are pushed away are people I never really needed anyway ... Yet I digress.






Steve Jobs
The source of this revelation became crystalized to me in the words of Steve Jobs ... "Some people are not used to an environment where excellence is expected." I have always said that I hold myself to a high standard, and I hold those with whom I associate to an equally high standard. I have changed the positions of many of the people in my life, adding some while purging myself of others. When I read that statement by the late Mr. Jobs, it was as if he was also telling me that there are more people who have to go. Either that or they will have to truly step their games up if they are to have a place in my environment, because in my environment, "excellence IS expected."

Now if you're reading this, you may or may not know where you stand in my life. Know this ... I may not be happy where I am, but I'm happier than I was before I got here, and when I get to where I'm going I'll be even more happier than I am today. When I'm joking, I'm joking - but when I'm serious, I'm serious. The only way I'll be able to someday play as hard as I want to will be because I worked harder than I wanted to. If you can't hang with that, you might as well cut yourself loose right now and save whatever kind of friendship we may have.

No comments: