09 November 2011

Common Sense Ain't Common ... HRJR's Review

I recently finished reading a book that I wish I could personally put in the hands of every teenager in the world in every language possible! The name of that book, "Common Sense Ain't Common: A Practical Guide to Getting the Most Out of Life," by Philly native Tazz Daddy.

In this book, Tazz uses an outstanding mixture of personal and professional experiences along with recent events and names everyone knows to drive home every possible way people could see where that thing called "Common Sense" applied, where it was ignored, and how to go about making it applicable in your life.

When I was just half-way through the first chapter, I couldn't help thinking "I need to put this book in my niece's hands!" My niece Bryanna is 13 years old and very intelligent for a young lady her age. When most girls would take advantage of an uncle who says, "I'm gonna spend some money on you" and take him to the mall, my niece has me take her to Barnes & Noble! As I kept reading, I couldn't stop thinking about how the lessons that Tazz was dropping could benefit her and a lot of kids like her ... and unlike her!

l to r: Tazz Daddy         H.S. Reed, Jr.
I read a lot of books. I would go so far to say that I've read more books in the last five years than I read throughout my entire scholastic career. It's rare that I actually know the author of one of the books I'm reading, let alone have him as a close friend. Friendship aside, I have to honestly say that this book is definitely a must-read.

Like my book, "FIND A WAY TO MAKE A WAY! You're Either Part of the Problem or You're Part of the Solution," Tazz's opus speaks to people of all ages. Like my book, for those who are the same age as he and I, it's a reminder and a "come to Jesus" type conversation. For the youth, it's a glimpse into the future and the book provides tools that if used immediately and consistantly will help the young reader avoid a great many of life's pitfalls. I honestly believe that Tazz's book would make the perfect precursor of preparation for my book. The two could easily go hand in hand!

On a scale of 1 to 5 stars, I give "Common Sense Ain't Common: A Practical Guide to Getting the Most Out of Life" ...




No comments: