21 January 2010

Some Advice for Those Preparing to Enter the Job Market.

Many of you should gearing up to graduate in a few months, and I just thought I'd reach out to you to offer some friendly advice.

What comes with graduating will be your journey into the job market. With so many people linked up to these social networking outlets, one of the things that many employers and their Human Resources departments are doing is checking people's MySpace & Facebook pages to see how candidates let their hair down on their own time. This has come to cost quite a few people some good paying jobs over the past couple years.

I am certain that many of you have had a great college experience - based on some of your party pics where it would appear the bottles were overflowing - and any given day could have been Halloween, but the last thing you need is to have some HR rep shredding your resume & your future because of some fun you had in the past.

I'm not saying that you can't have the fun you want to have now. I'm not saying you can't record it so you can look back on it years from now - even to show your kids that you weren't always the stuffy-butt they think you are now that you know better. What I am saying is that you should not give any one any reason to put unnecessary stumbling blocks in your path. As a matter of fact, if you lose out on a job in part because of some of the pictures in your MySpace & Facebook pages ... the person really at fault is the person who put them there. Even if someone "tags" you in a picture, if you "remove" that tag, that pic can never be posted again under your name.

As you begin to enter the so-called "real world," now is the time to start thinking 2-3 steps ahead! It's better to be able to say "I'm glad I did" instead of having to say "I wish I woulda'."

No comments: