07 September 2009

Humility Works Wonders!

As a Motivational Speaker, author, and Life Improvement Coach, I am often asked for advice. I also offer a great many encouraging words, but the one area I tend to stay clear of is giving relationship advice. It's the one area where even after ten years of being with the same woman and married to her for eight of those years; and with two kids in, I am still learning the ropes myself. I just do not yet possess the confidence to go about seriously telling other people how to live rich and fulfilling lives together in matrimonial bliss or any other kind of romantically inclined relationship. However, throughout all the ups and downs my wife and I have had over the years we have discovered something that can only be described as a "marital epiphany."

Throughout a great many personal and professional peaks and valleys I have endured over the past couple of years, the one person who has been by my side - come hell or high water - has been my wife, Taria.

About three weeks ago, I let her know that her take on several matters I and we had been dealing with throughout the year was right. With both of us being strong-willed and occasionally stubborn (me more so), this admission was like a light switch being flipped in our relationship.

In fact, it has become somewhat of a fun game between us where we share things with one another and instead of deflecting fault or responsibility; we simply acknowledge that the other person was right, share a chuckle in that the other person conceded, and we move on. Hell, for all I know this little "epiphany" has added years to our marriage!

Now if you're married and you and your spouse are already getting down like this, God bless you & more power to you! But if you're still young & new in your relationship, you might want to take this little bit of advice ... Being right doesn't mean squat if your spouse or partner doesn't acknowledge it, and being wrong will only set to make matters worse if you don't acknowledge it.


A little humility with the one who is supposed to have your back against the world will go a LONG way!

God Bless,
HSRjr.

No comments: